Monday, July 16, 2012

Maintenance Mode

I only go to the doctor when I'm sick, and usually only when I'm displaying symptoms that keep me out of work, but for the past few weeks I've been feeling really crummy, so I decided it was time to take a little action.

I went to the doctor on Saturday morning. I told him I was really fatigued and about some aches and pains I am having. One of his first responses was to ask if I was depressed and to suggest that I go on anti-depressants. He did the same thing last year when I went to him complaining of fatigue. Last year it was almost certainly depression-related, this year I'm not so sure. Either way, I gave him the same answer both times. I am not interested in getting started on drugs that are going to alter my brain chemistry and that I won't easily be able to get off of once I'm on them. I know some people are helped by them; I'm not convinced they're the right option for me.

Although I didn't take that suggestion, I did agree to x-rays and blood work, because there is something definitely not-quite-right going on and I want to get it figured out so that I'll be able to have more energy and more mobility again. I went up and down my steps three times in quick succession this evening and felt it in one hip far more than a healthy person my age should. Apparently there's the possibility of bursitis in one hip. I don't quite know what that means long-term, and I don't know whether the anti-inflammatories I now have to take for it will get me back on track, but it's a start.

I have to say, I'm impressed by how streamlined the hospital has become with their lab and radiology services. I was there for less than an hour and had several x-rays and a couple of vials of blood drawn. Both techs were very comforting and competent and listened to my concerns and questions. I've been there before for both services and have had vastly different experiences in the past. Nothing is perfect, but this morning was definitely reassuring.

Of course, who knows how long it will be until I get results of the tests that were run. I have a feeling I'll end up on the "no news is good news" track, so I'll just hope not to get a call from my doctor before I get around to scheduling my follow-up appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment