Saturday, July 7, 2012

Mini-Getaway Day

I spent the day with friends at their cottage in Mount Gretna playing cards games and visiting. It was marginally cooler up under the trees than it was in the city, but we still retreated into the air conditioning a couple of times.

This is the type of social situation I am most suited to. Small group, relaxed atmosphere. We spent all afternoon and evening chatting and playing with their dogs. I didn't feel any pressure to perform or to be someone other than who I normally am.

I don't like that I often feel awkward and out-of-place in large groups, but I'm beginning to wonder whether I should simply accept that that is the case and not try to fight it too much anymore.

I think about entertaining from time to time, but I don't think I'd be comfortable throwing a large party for all of my friends. I'd have to do something small, just a hand full of other people at a time.

Since I'm torn between these options, I just don't do either. I've had these friend over for dinner once since I bought my house, and they're the only ones, aside from one friend who comes over from time to time, but that's hang-out mode rather than entertaining mode, so doesn't count in the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment